Once a shooter conquers distances of 100 and 200 yards it becomes almost foolish to spend centerfire ammo at these ranges. Even a budget rifle is capable of hitting targets more than half a mile away with quality ammo and optic, as long as the shooter is up to the task.
Just a short ride to Lewistown Pennsyvania (4 hours from Nassau County) and you will find our Long range course where in just one day we will teach you how to hit targets up to and including your rifles maximum range as we engage steel from 400 yards to distances in excess of 1,000 yards.
This course is proudly sponsored by Champion Targets as they have provided enough steel for each 100 yard increment!
NO PREREQUISITE! – Long range experience is not required for this course as it is intended for beginners, however experience with your rifle and optic is mandatory.
In this course we cover:
- FIREARMS SAFETY
- Advanced Marksmanship Fundamentals
- Wind Reading
- Bullet Flight Characteristics (drift and trajectory)
- Using a Chronograph
- Making a D.O.P.E Log
- Understanding Scope Reticles and MOA
- Selecting and Troubleshooting Equipment
- Using Ballistic Calculations Software
- Challenge Courses of Fire With Prizes from our Sponsors!
- 5 hour – Long Range Fire Session
- Scoped centerfire rifle with high magnification (10x or higher) optic, caliber .223 or higher *.223 must have a bullet weight of 75 grains or heavier.
- .50 BMG is not allowed as it destroys targets.
- 150 rounds of match ammo that can hold a group of at least 1.5″ at 100 yards. 250 rounds recommended – Ammo must all be the same make and loading – handloads are welcome.
- Owners manual for scope
- A shooting mat, carpet scrap or beach towel
- Bipod or rest that is over 9″ tall
- Rear bag or sand sock (sock filled with rice about the size of a softball will do)
- Lodging the night before. Both the Burnham, PA Super 8 and Burnham, PA Comfort Inn are clean, affordable and less than 10 minutes from the range. The Waterside Campground is approx 20 minutes from the range should you wish to camp.
- A limited number of loaner rifles are available with advanced notice. Low Cost Match-Grade ammunition will be available and no outside ammo is permitted. A typical student will spend $150- $250 in ammunition for the day. If you are borrowing a rifle we will email you after registration with available options.
- Bagged Lunch
- Bottled water
- Recommended: Laptop computer (you will receive free ballistics software)
- Recommended: Spotting scope or Binoculars 20x or greater
- Recommended: Backup Rifle and/or Optic
Each Student must be checked into their hotel room before 11pm the night before.
Traffic is too unpredictable to leave the day of.
Open to ages 12+
This is not an NRA-approved course, it was constructed in its entirety by Frank Melloni.
Join our mailer for announcements on when this course will be offered next, This course can be brought to your local range or gun club, or taught to a 1 on 1, please inquire for pricing and availability.
Courses only open to U.S. Citizens or Non-U.S. citizens who are: (1) lawful permanent residents (e.g., green card holders), (2) refugees, or (3) individuals who have been granted asylum.
Visa holders (Work, Travel, Ect.) are not eligible for any courses involving firearms.